Monday, October 6, 2008

Voter Registration -- OHIO STYLE....

Today I was on an errand, and happened through Northern Lights Shopping Center off of North Cleveland Avenue in Columbus.

Today, October 6th, was the last day to register to vote in this year's General Election.

Two of the Center's major tenants are a Thrift store and a Liquor store, and being the first Monday of the month, there was quite the little steady stream of people heading into the "Likker Sto'" for their noon bag and lotto tics.

As I drove through the lot near the Liquor and Thrift stores in the Center, I noticed two cars at the curb and three people, volunteers of some sort, waylaying the people on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store and approaching cars that were driving past. They had clipboards, and were conducting what appeared to be a shuttle service, carting "prospective voters" to the registration and early absentee voting.

I noticed they were approaching every car that came near, so I drove around the lot and then coasted by really slow, my window rolled down and looking "interested". No luck. I did it again. Still no luck.

Then I noticed a couple of guys across the lot -- they had cameras and appeared to be documenting the scene.

Now, it's not against the law to talk to people outside of liquor stores -- AT 12:00 NOON on a MONDAY; but if you're looking for a certain type of prospective voter, then you're outside of a liquor store in a certain part of town at 12 Noon on a Monday. Right?

Right.

I'm a-bettin' they weren't Republican volunteers. Know what I mean?

No comments: