Monday, October 13, 2008

Real Life Differences Between Liberals and Conservatives....

Are your friendships and personal relationships suffering because of politics?

Do you find yourself "treading lightly" in your day-to-day interactions with people, simply to avoid conflict or discomfort?

Is it actually causing you anxiety?

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed this difference between Liberals and Conservatives?

In my experience, Liberals are more aggressive in On-Line give and take, while Conservatives seem to be more aggressive face to face, but in "real life", Conservatives more readily forgive and forget.

Liberals who take their politics very seriously seem to view non-agreement as almost a criminal offense. If you “make a point” that contradicts their views, basic tenents or beliefs, they are much more likely to let political disagreements damage or limit personal and social relationships.

I've had a conversation turn plain ICY, just over the slightest observation, much less a difference of opinion.

At first I thought that the difference was Rational vs. Emotional, but I don't think that's the case now. I do know there is a lot of anger on the Liberal side over the last eight years, and believe me, as a Libertarian, I am extremely angry over the NeoCon highjacking of both our Country's policy and the Conservative label -- BUT it still doesn't explain this seemingly basic difference in the approach to discussing politics.

Do Liberals take political disagreement more seriously and it is more likely to affect their every day interaction with other people, or is this just my experience?

Here's a fresh example: On Thursday, my boss, the owner of our company, came out for Obama publicly -- in a company-wide meeting.

If it had been for the other major party candidate (I am voting for Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate, so I have no dog in this tussle.), I think that probably complaints would have been filed -- whether or not there was legal recourse.

Friendly discussion, anyone?

No comments: